What NOT to Wear to Your Next Interview
Making a great first impression is key to nailing an interviewing, and nothing will ruin your chances faster than wearing a poorly constructed outfit when meeting your next potential boss. With that in mind, let’s review items you should never wear to an interview!
- Sportswear or gym clothes, like sweatshirts, jerseys or tracksuits
- Anything too casual, like jeans or shorts
- Revealing clothing, like low tops and short skirts
- Anything distracting, like large logos, neon or bright patterns
- Anything in need of repair/replacement
- Improper footwear, like flip flops, running shoes, or old shoes with scuffs and stains
Instead, when opting for an interviewing outfit, it’s better to keep thing simple. So what should you wear? Try the following items:
- Suits for both men and women, if interviewing in a corporate setting
- Dress shirts and pants
- Work dresses
- Close-toed shoes and belts
Remember, if you’re unsure about the work environment prior to your interview, it’s best to err on the conservative side.